Wednesday 31 October 2012

Day 4 - A Day in the life of a Harvard student (creative piece)

        I woke up late again. It was my freshman year and I have been in Harvard for three months now. It was the ninth time I was was running late. I was still adapting to the room mates, the new bed and the difference in time from Singapore. Therefore, I could not sleep and when I did, it was late and hence I had great difficulties waking up on time. I felt tired and lethargic from the stress from school. I jumped out of bed, my thoughts were in a whirl and the thought of being late constantly played on my mind.
   
        It was 9 am. My breath was foul-smelling. I got a quick shower and brushed my teeth furiously. Six minutes left. I put on my clothes and socks, grabbed my bag and ran out of the room holding my shoes in my hand. As I ran down the corridor, I would hop on one foot to put on my shoe, continue running down the stairs and then putting on the other. Five minutes left. Did I just hear my stomach rumble? I dashed to the canteen. Four minutes left. I got some coffee and a doughnut. Three minutes left. I sped to the campus, running past everyone. Along the way, I knocked into an attractive-looking girl but had no time to talk to her. Two minutes left. I was waiting for the elevator and in the campus, wolfed down the doughnut I grabbed earlier. I had a few sips of hot coffee. There was only one minute left! Up I went, finishing my coffee as I reached the fourth floor. 9.07 am. I was in time for class! How I love the seven minutes rule! How I love Harvard!

~Koh Zhi Sheng, 3/8


        My temples hurt when I woke up. I had been studying at the library the whole night for the upcoming Chemistry exam. Unfortunately, I fell asleep and woke up late. With no time to go back to my dorm, I rushed to my class over at the opposite block.

        It was autumn and the sun shone throughout the campus and I soaked in the ambience. The falling of the yellow and red maple leaves still leaves me in awe, even though its my second year here.

        I entered the class and greeted the lecturer then I sat at my favourite spot with my friends. We agreed to try out the new ice-cream flavour in the cafeteria during lunch.

        The bell rang as the hour passed and after lunch, I changed into my sportswear because my team had a match with the other houses.

        We got our mascot ready and we stepped out of the room with pride and cheers for all to hear.

        This is an average day in Harvard with discipline to learn and being able to spend time and work together with friends. There's no place I'd rather be.

        As I passed by the John Harvard statue, I shook my head at the reminder of the unspoken lie: the face of the statue that bore the name of John Harvard did not belong him as no one knew his actual countenance. As I continued down the path back to my dorm, I pondered upon our school motto: Veritas- Truth. Indeed, the irony is not lost on me.

~Kylie Chia, 3/8

        "This is the day," I told myself as I walked through the famous gates of Harvard. It was my life-long dream to study in such a prestigious school such as Harvard, and I still could not believe I was accepted. Maybe, it was the long sleepless nights preparing for the exams or something else. Maybe, luck was on my side. However, I could feel a weight on my shoulders. Was it the bags full of books over my shoulder, or something more serious?

        Deep within me, I knew what I wanted; at least what they told me. But I wanted something more. I wanted the warmth of family. Being so far away from home, it only seemed like yesterday when I had my farewell party. The laughing and talking all seemed like distant, fond memorie to me. I even started to doubt why I was here. It was then I remembered I was here--to bring pride to my family and happiness to my parents. Sometimes, it is not all about ourselves; sometimes, we spend our whole lives living for others.

        With the tightening of my bag strap, I took my beginning straps on my journey as I clung on to my fond memories, scared to let them go.

~Malcom Teh, 3/4

New Beginnings 

New student. Streaming students.
Unfamiliar faces. Hopeful faces.
Long, never-ending corridors. Classrooms
going on. Increased heartbeat. Different
clouded visions of my future. Will they remain
as illusions of something?
I would constantly pinch myself to make sure
it is not a dream.
Walking to class. Enter class.
My new friends---or opponents?
They smile but some of them would do
anything to be at the top.
I smile, but beneath my veneer, I hope
there is still a trace of sincerity and naivete.
I wait for my learning years to pass
as I grow and nurture with Harvard.
They say one of the students here may be
the people who change your world.
Will I be that one?

~Hafizah Khalid, 3/4


        I was stuck in the underground library, trying to complete my paper that was due the next day. What a stressful life! As the final phrase of my two-thousand word essay bled from my pen, I could sense Freedom right around the corner. It's so stressful but it was also worth it. Upon graduation, the prestige of having studied in one of the best universities in the world would have set me for life. I could become one of the most sought after psychologists.

        As I walked past John Harvard's statue on the campus, strains of my mother's advice came back to me like the familiar brush of a stranger. "Never forget your roots." How could I? For one, I miss my mother's cooking. While I enjoy American cuisine, I stand firmly in my opinion that nothing beats my mother's culinary speciality: "Lemak chilli padi ayam". I also love the local delight, "Laksa", the way my mother prepares it.

        As far as I am concerned, I'll never stop being, or forget how to be an Asian. The Asian values and way of life that I grew up with are still too ingrained in me. Forgetting my roots- that is simply not possible.

Home

The sound of my sisters bickering
The smell of burnt food
Especially when my father is cooking,
The sight of sunny green Singapore
And the warmth of family.
Harvard, on the other hand,
My other family
Facing cold winds together.
I'm here on a mission,
To do really well in my concentration,
Get my degree,
Pack my bags and return
To my island, my home.

~Both by Noor Ainie, 3/8
(Edited)

No comments:

Post a Comment